It was a big game and the Allen Americans put forth a big effort in beating Wichita 4-1 last night before a crowd of 2926 at the CUTX Event Center. With the win the Americans moved back into fourth place and the final playoff spot by the slimmest of margins in the tight Mountain Division standings. Allen and Tulsa are tied at .518 in the standings, but Allen’s points percentage is .5182 while Tulsa is at .5175. Ironically, Tulsa is in Allen tonight to play the Americans with the winner taking over the fourth playoff spot.
– There were so many positives in the win against Wichita. It definitely had the feel of playoff hockey.
Here are a few of the positives:
- Allen outshot Wichita 35-25 to improve its record when outshooting the opponent to 11-3-1-0.
- Allen had seven more shots than its average and allowed 10 fewer shots than average.
- Allen and Luke Peressini allowed one goal for the third time in the last six games.
- Allen scored first and had a 2-1 lead after the first period to improve its record when leading after the first period to 10-2-1-1.
- Allen had a 3-1 lead after the second period and improved its record with a second period lead to 13-0-1-1.
- Allen got great depth scoring. Of the four Allen goals, none came from the five players with 15+ goals this season.
– Goal scorers for Allen were Phil Beaulieu (4), Jared Bethune (6.7) and J.C. Campagna (10). Here are the video highlights: https://youtu.be/t2jMc1RaZ0Q
– Game recap from the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/media/americans-win-round-1-battle-against-wichita/
– Game recap from the Wichita Thunder: https://www.wichitathunder.com/en/news/thunder-falls-in-allen-4-1
COACH’S CORNER WITH STEVE MARTINSON
“I liked the way we played, especially in the first two periods. We got depth scoring which really helps and we got goals by going to the net.”
“It is a good night when we hold an opponent to 25 shots while we get 35.”
“The Costello line didn’t score any goals had a lot of quality chances.”
“Jack Combs did a good job of screening the goalie on Beau’s goal.
“Frank Marotte will get the start in goal tonight.”
“I haven’t decided yet what other lineup changes I will make but there will be at least one.”
“Branden Troock’s injury was not serious, he will be in the lineup tonight. ”
“Nolan Kneen is not ready to play as he recovers from getting hit by a puck in Charlotte.”
ALLEN VS TULSA PREVIEW
– The game tonight against Tulsa will be every bit as important as the win last night. The winner will take over fourth place in the division.
– The question is will the game go like last Friday when Allen beat Tulsa 5-1 or like Saturday when the Oilers beat the Americans 7-3.
– One thing is sure and that is Tulsa will put a lot of shots on goal as it leads the league in that category. Tulsa played on Tuesday in Kansas City, lost 4-3 in overtime but outshot the Mavericks 51-25.
– Allen has played Tulsa nine times this season, all since January 7. Allen’s record in those nine games is 3-4-2-0 The Americans record in Allen is 1-2-0-0. The easy conclusion to draw from the games against Tulsa it is feast or famine for the Americans offense. The three Allen wins were 6-3, 8-0 and 5-1. The six losses were 4-2, 4-1, 2-1, 2-1, 5-4, and 7-3. In the Americans three wins they scored 19 total goals, in the six losses Allen scored a combined total of just 12 goals.
– The keys to the game are the same whenever Allen plays Tulsa. Score first (the team scoring first has won seven of the nine games), win the special teams battle (Allen did in the three wins) and play good team defense from the forwards to the defensemen to the goalie. Odds are Tulsa will have a shot advantage but the Americans need to keep the shot total close.
– J.C. Campagna continued his torrid scoring pace with another goal last night, his 10th goal in just 12 games. J.C. is now tied for sixth on the team in goals. Campagna’s goal scoring streak is reminiscent of 2012-13 when Scott Howes started the season with Allen and scored 21 goals in 22 games. Scott was then promoted to the AHL and never returned.
– Allen is playing Tulsa tonight and then getting on the bus to head to Wichita right after the game. The Americans play the Thunder tomorrow night, Wichita had to travel home after the loss in Allen last night and will play Toledo tonight before taking on the Americans tomorrow night. Then the Americans and Wichita will finish the weekend playing in Allen Sunday afternoon. Love the ECHL schedule.
– Chad Costello had an assist on Allen’s first goal last night and is now in a three way tie for the ECHL scoring lead with 63 points.
DID YOU KNOW: The ECHL Stats post today is about teams leading and trailing after the second period. Here is Allen’s record:
- 10-2-1-1: Leading after the 1st period
- 13-0-1-1: Leading after the 2nd period
- 2-11-1-0: Trailing after the 1st period
- 3-19-3-0: Trailing after the 2nd period
It’s hard to find any perfect team stats this late in the ECHL season. Here are two perfect teams related to the 2nd period score:– Adirondack is the only team perfect when leading after the 2nd period (15-0-0-0).– Indy is the only team perfect when trailing after the 2nd period (0-23-0-0).Some other second period lead stats:– Cincinnati is 16-0-0-0 at home with a second period lead.– Iowa is 10-0-0-0 on the road with a second period lead.– Not perfect but very impressive is Newfoundland. The Growlers have had a second period lead in 59% of its games, with a record of 29-1-0-0.