It wasn’t easy but the Allen Americans made it two straight over the Newfoundland Growlers last night with a 2-1 win on Star Wars night before a crowd of 4065 at the CUTX Event Center. It was the first time all season the Americans scored just two goals and won a game. The previous seven times Allen scored two goals in a game, they lost.
– Allen got off to a good start scoring the first and only goal of the opening period just 2:33 after the puck drop. Kolten Olynek stole the puck from the Newfoundland goalie behind the net and passed it to Dawson Butt who put it in the open net. It was Olynek’s first pro point.
– The Growlers tied the score with the only goal of the second period. The Americans lost a faceoff in their offensive zone and it turned into a goal for the Growlers.
– Just like on Friday, the score was tied after the second period and the Americans won the third period to get the victory. Last night, Spencer Asuchak had the game winner, tipping in a shot from Phil Beaulieu. Newfoundland pulled its goalie with two minutes remaining in the game. It seemed like the Americans had a half a dozen chances to score an empty net goal but it was not to be.
– Chase Perry, who was starting his first ECHL game in goal, was outstanding, stopping 35 of 36 shots for a .972 save percentage. Chase had appeared in three ECHL games prior to last night in a mop up role (46 total minutes) but last night was his first complete game.
– Dawson Butt scored his second goal of the season and also had several big hits in the game as did Spencer Asuchak who scored is 12 goal of the season. Here are the video highlights: https://youtu.be/5UCHxBYgzzA
– Here is the game recap from the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/media/americans-make-it-two-straight-over-newfoundland/
– Here is the game recap from the Newfoundland Growlers: https://www.nlgrowlers.com/en/2021-22recaps/recap-growlers-drop-tight-2-1-decision-vs-americans
– It was a let them play game as far as penalties were concerned. Allen didn’t have a single power play for the first time all season. Newfoundland was called for one minor penalty (slashing) but it was after the game was over. Allen also had just one minor penalty (roughing) which led to a Growlers power play which the Americans killed of. Allen has allowed just one power play goal in the last 11 games.
COACH’S CORNER WITH STEVE MARTINSON
“It was great to get the win last night playing shorthanded. Branden Troock didn’t play for most of the game and we were down to 14 skaters. Troock will not play today.”
“We will be short again this afternoon with either 14 or 15 skaters.”
“It is tough playing so early on Sunday after a game last night and after playing four games in five days but it is the same for both teams so the players just have to suck it up. Our team played well last week in Tulsa in the same situation.”
” Goalie Luke Peressini, who we just acquired in a trade with Worcester, will get the start in goal this afternoon.”
“With so many players out of the lineup, it gives others a chance to step up and make plays and show what they can do.”
“We need to make better decisions in our offensive zone. Some of the turnovers are because we are not being patient.”
“In order for us to win, our top line needs to play better than their top line like they did last night with the game winning goal in the third period.”
“It was good to get a win with a big Saturday night crowd in the building.”
“It is possible we could get another player this week from a futures consideration trade I earlier in the season.”
GAME THREE PREVIEW
– Both teams have played shorthanded at some point this weekend and the early start this afternoon (2:05) means the third game is 42 hours, 35 minutes from the start of game one. It is likely Newfoundland will have a full lineup and Allen will be shorthanded.
– Special teams will undoubtedly play a bigger role in the game today with tired players and a different referee. Newfoundland has a lot of replacement players but they still have a potent power play group. The Growlers power play is ranked #2 at 25% compared to Allen’s which is ranked #17 at 18.7%.
– It may be a different game this afternoon with a combination of it being the third game in three days and a different referee is scheduled. Tyler Hascall (#8) is the scheduled referee this afternoon. I think it is a given there will be a lot more than two minor penalties in the game today.
– It you have been an Allen fan a long time, did you think about the Saturday night, big crowd, specialty jersey, post game jersey auction curse when Newfoundland tied the game 1-1 in the second period. Have to admit it crossed my mind.
– Jersey auctions are clearly not what they used to be. Whether it is a saturated market with so many specialty jerseys, online auctions or other factors, it is not like the old days. Last night the Star Wars jersey action garnered prices from a high of $900 to a low of $200 with most jerseys going between $300-$350. Here are the jerseys that went for more than $400:
- $900 – Darian Skeoch
- $600 – Chase Perry
- $550 – Spencer Asuchak
- $550 – Hayden Lavigne
– Just how much have the jersey auctions changed. No doubt the Americans still make a lot of money selling jerseys at an average price of $383 like last night. However check out the top jersey prices I found in the archives from January, 2015. This is what I wrote at the time.
Have to say the jersey auction last night was a resounding success. Heard so many positive comments about how good the specialty jerseys looked. The average price for the jerseys was just over $900 and two of them went for over $2000. Here are the jerseys that went for at least $1000:
$2100 – Jamie Schaafsma$2000 – Chad Costello$1550 – Ian Schultz$1200 – Brett Lyon$1000 – Brian McMillin
– Allen is the only Mountain Division team playing today so the Americans will have a chance to gain on all the teams ahead of them. Allen is currently in fifth place but the gap is still pretty wide even though the Americans have won two straight games. Here are the division standings:
- .646 – Utah
- .588 – Idaho
- .566 – Tulsa
- .560 – Rapid City
- .514 – Allen (will move to .527 with a win today)
- .463 – Kansas City
- .413 – Wichita
DID YOU KNOW: With a win this afternoon Allen will have one of the current longest win streaks in the ECHL. Here is the ECHL stats post for today.Is it a sign of parity? 21 of 27 ECHL teams have a current win or loss streak of just one or two games. The six exceptions, teams with the current longest winning and losing streaks.
Winning Streaks4-0: Worcester4-0: Greenville3-0: IdahoLosing Streaks0-4: Kansas City0-3: Indy0-3: South Carolina