The Allen Americans beat an out manned and tired Tulsa Oilers team 5-0 yesterday before a crowd of 2461 at the BOK Center. It was Allen’s fourth straight road win. The Americans have now played seven straight road games and won six of them. They have three more road games in Utah before their next home game on February 3.
– Anytime you win 5-0 on the road you know you have played a good game but the game against Tulsa was one of the most complete games the Americans have played all season. Here are the stats to back that up:
First Allen shutout this season
Largest margin of victory all season (5)
Most shots on goal all season (42)
Outshot Tulsa in all three periods (13-9, 17-11, 12-11)
Allen out shot Tulsa 41-31, the fewest shots Tulsa has had against Allen since 2018-19
Scored two power play goals for the first time all season
Five goals scored by five different players
Took just two penalties with only one power play opportunity
12 of 17 skaters had at least one point
– The game was close in the scoreless first period but Allen scored twice in less than a minute early in the second period and it was all downhill for Tulsa from that point. Allen scored three more goals in the third period to make the final score 5-0. According to their coach, Tulsa had 12 players out recently because of COVID protocol, haven’t been able to practice, are playing with a bunch of players they just signed and were playing their third game in less than 48 hours. It is easy to see how the Oilers ran out of gas against Allen who had to travel overnight after beating Kansas City Saturday but were playing just their second game in 15 days.
– The goal scorers for Allen were Kameron Kielly (2), Spencer Asuchak (1), Les Lancaster (3), Nolan Kneen (3) and Josh Lammon (40).
– Here is the game recap issued by the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/news/general/americans-and-paterson-shutout-tulsa/
– Here are two videos, the highlight video and the post game interview with Coach Martinson. If you have trouble opening these videos you can also find them on the Allen Americans YouTube Channel. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4skvqPU3CGKx-vRDPCD4tA
– Jake Paterson, making his first start, stopped all 31 Tulsa shots. Jake is no stranger to shutouts as he tied for the league lead with seven shutouts in 2016-17 playing for Toledo. To find a goalie with more than seven shutouts in a season you have to go back to the 2013-14 season.
– Allen allowed just three goals in their two road wins this weekend while scoring seven goals. The Americans are now ranked #1 in average goals allowed per game (2.23) and #2 in average goals scored per game (3.69). The team save percentage is .932.
– It is seven weeks into the season and Allen has already had 29 players play at least one game for the Americans. They still have a way to go to catch the 41 players that played in the shortened 2019-20 season and the 45 that played in 2018-19. Odds are Allen exceeds 45 players this season.
– With Joe Garreffa recalled by San Jose the Americans have just one player averaging a point per game. Corey Mackin has 13 points (5G, 8A) in 13 games.
– The Americans will have a few days at home before they head back on the road on Thursday to take on Utah on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. These will be the last of 10 straight road games for Allen. The Americans six road wins are tied with Indy for the most in the league. They have identical 6-2-0-0 road records.
– There was good news yesterday regarding the Commissioner’s Exempt List (CEL). After six straight days of at least six players being added to the list there were no players added yesterday. Even better there were nine players removed from the CEL which is the most removed in one day all season.
DID YOU KNOW: Here are Allen’s points per game leaders for each season since they joined the ECHL (minimum 40 games):
1.49 – Tyler Sheehy, 2019-20
.92 – Dante Salituro, 2018-19
.98 – Zach Pochiro, 2017-18
1.69 – Chad Costello, 2016-17
1.43 – Chad Costello, 2015-16
1.74 – Chad Costello, 2014-15