|Hayden Hawkey, 3-0 shutout – photo by Dave Dudich|
Anyway you measure it the Allen Americans played a great game in shutting out the Utah Grizzlies 3-0 last night before a crowd of 1954 at the Allen Event Center. Here are some stats that show how well the Americans played.
– Most shots on goal (37) of any of the 10 games against Utah this season.
– Fewest shots allowed to Utah (25) in any of the 10 games played this season.
– Two power play goals (2-6) for only the fourth time all season.
– Perfect penalty kill (0-4) including 31 seconds of 5-on-3.
– Shorthanded goal by Corey Mackin.
– Hayden Hawkey, starting his first game for the Americans, with a great 25 save shutout.
– Allen had a good start scoring at the 2:59 mark of the first period.
– Allen has won every game against Utah this season when scoring first.
– Allen led 1-0 after the first period and improved its record to 14-0-2-0 with a first period lead.
– Allen’s record against Utah this season is now 8-2.
– After the game ended there were six penalties called including four for roughing and two for fighting. It was clear the rough stuff was started by Utah after being shutout 3-0. If there are any suspensions I assume they will go to Utah but most likely no suspensions will be handed out.
– Goal scorers for Allen were Philip Beaulieu (3), Samuel Laberge (11) and Corey Mackin (16). Here are the video highlights from the Allen Americans YouTube channel.
– Here is the game recap from the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/news/general/americans-shutdown-utah-3-0-for-second-straight-win/
– The game recap from the Utah Grizzlies: https://www.utahgrizzlies.com/en/grizzlies-news/allen-blanks-utah-3-0
– Coach Martinson will start Frank Marotte in goal tonight. He typically will play a goalie back to back after a shutout but Hawkey has had limited game action having just three complete games since February 14. Coming back with a rested Marotte was the decision Martinson made in this situation.
– Tim Doherty, who sat out the first two Utah games, will be back in the lineup tonight.
– The key to a win tonight for the Americans is real simple, more of the same. Allen is not the type of team to back down but they need to avoid what could be a rough third game of this series. If Allen is going to the penalty box they need to make sure to take someone from Utah along. The Americans have had a clear special teams advantage in the first two games scoring three power play goals (3-11) while holding Utah scoreless (0-8). Allen also had a shorthanded goal. A good start like last night and winning the special teams battle will secure a sweep of Utah.
– The referee scheduled tonight is #25 Andrew Bruggeman who was the referee in the first two games of the series. An experienced referee, Bruggemen will likely have a quick whistle if the rough stuff start early.
– The Corey Mackin unassisted shorthand goal in the third period to give Allen a 3-0 lead was a thing of beauty. Corey leads Allen with three shorthanded goals which is also tied for the ECHL lead. Allen has scored six shorthanded goals. In addition to Mackin, Josh Lammon has two shorthanded goals and Samuel Laberge has one.
– Hayden Hawkey’s shutout was the fifth by the Americans this season. Justin Kapelmaster and Jake Paterson both have two shutouts.
– Tonight, for the first time in team history, the Americans will be wearing a different jersey in each period to honor police, fire and health care workers.
DID YOU KNOW: Allen has already had five shutouts this season with 46% of the season remaining. The Americans goalies could set the team record if they keep up this pace. Here are total shutouts for each season since the Americans joined the ECHL:
5 – 2020-21 (thru 39 games)
6 – 2019-20 (shortened season)
4 – 2018-19
0 – 2017-18
9 – 2016-17 (Riley Gill had a record seven shutouts)
4 – 2015-16
2 – 2014-15