There is one game in the ECHL tonight and it should be a good one as Wichita is in Allen for a rare stand alone game. Close in points percentage (Allen .649, Wichita .650), close in the Western Conference standings (Allen #3, Wichita #2) and close in head to head games with identical records of 3-2-1-0. Can’t get much closer than that.
– Tonight will be a good test for both teams who are ranked #1 and #2 for best record over the last 10 games. Allen is #1 with a record of 7-2-0-1 and Wichita is #2 at 7-3-0-0.
– The game tonight will be the seventh of of 11 times Allen and Wichita play this regular season. They last played each other way back on February 6. In the six head to head games (each team won three) Wichita led in goals (23-20) but Allen led in shots 222-212. In a game on January 1 in Allen the Americans out shot Wichita 34-12 on the way to a 5-1 victory.
– Head to head Allen’s power play is 5-29 (17.2%) and Wichita’s is 4-24 (16.7%). Overall Allen’s power play at home this season is 15-92 (16.3%) and Wichita’s road power play is 9-74 (12.2%). With all of the power play stats the one that says the most is how the Allen power play has performed recently. Over the last 11 games the power play has scored at least one goal in 10 of the 11 and the power play percentage is 28.6% (14-49).
Here are Steve Martinson’s comments about tonight’s game:
“Jake Paterson will get the start in goal.”
“Zane Franklin will be back in the lineup.”
“There might be a couple of other lineup changes but they will be game time decisions.”
“The key tonight is to not hurt ourselves and give up easy scoring chances by playing soft and being out of position.”
– Allen and Wichita have a combined record when scoring first of 44-10-2-0. In the three losses to Wichita this season the Americans gave up the first goal in all three. A good start will be key for both teams tonight.
– A lead after the first period makes both of these teams almost unbeatable. Allen is 15-0-2-1 when leading after the first period. Wichita is 11-0-1-0 when leading after the first period.
– Another way to look at this game is Allen’s #3 ranked scoring team against Wichita’s #1 ranked defensive team. The Americans average 3.34 goals per game while Wichita allows 2.56 goals per game.
– The odd stat of the day is Wichita is ranked #1 in average goals allowed (2.56) but is last (#14) in average shots allowed (36.12). You get this result because of outstanding goalie play, Wichita has far an away the best team save percentage in the league at .930.
– Three of Allen’s top six scorers against Wichita this season (Jesse Mychan, Joe Garreffa, Tyler Sheehy) are no longer with the team. Wichita’s leading scorer against Allen has been #91 Anthony Beauregard who has nine points in six games. He also leads the ECHL in scoring with 57 points (19G, 38A).
– Two of the six head to head games between Allen and Wichita went to overtime. Allen won in overtime in Wichita and Wichita won in overtime in Allen. Overall Allen has been in eight extra time games and is 2-2 in overtimes and 3-1 in shootouts for a points percentage of .625. Overall Wichita has been in 12 extra time games and is 5-4 in overtimes and 2-1 in shootouts for points percentage of .583.
– Allen fans will see get to see #9 forward Brett Neumann and #16 defenseman Darian Skeoch for the first time on home ice tonight. Two players to watch that are very different in the skills they bring to the team. I will have a player profile on them tomorrow.
DID YOU KNOW: ECHL teams ranked by the number of one goal games they have been involved in this season with points percentage in one goal games: