– Not much to report on recruitment for next season. It has been wait and see for so long with the ECHL season suspended and then canceled in the middle of March. Things are about to change as the first day for coach Martinson to sign players for the 2020-21 season is now just three weeks away (June 16).
– Tommy Daniels continues with his video interviews. The latest are with Allen Americans owner Jack Gulati, ECHL Commissioner Ryan Crelin and former Allen forward Brian McMillin who is one of six players part of three championships with the Americans. Here are those videos if you haven’t seen them:
– The AHL waited until 10 days ago to cancel their season and Allen’s affiliate, the Iowa Wild, were in a similar position to the Americans when the season ended. The Wild were second in the AHL in points and fourth in winning percentage (.651). They had a talented team with a great chance for a deep playoff run and the Calder Cup. Here is a recap of the Iowa Wild season which sounds a lot like the Americans story. https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/a-team-where-everything-clicked
– The NHL is getting closer to resuming play to determine the winner of the 2019-20 Stanley Cup. There is still plenty to be negotiated but there is an agreement on a 24 team playoff to start later this summer. Here are the details: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29211505/nhlpa-board-approves-league-plan-24-team-playoffs-coronavirus-return
– The Allen Americans Memorial Day Weekend Clearance Sale is now going on with some great deals on merchandise. You can find these deals at the DASH auction sight but you don’t have to bid on the merchandise, you can go to the DASH site and buy the items at a fixed discounted price. You can buy military replica jerseys for $80 (youth) and $91 (adult). There are a lot of hoodie sweat shirts in various colors (red, blue, grey) at only $29. Sizes vary from small to 3X. This sale ends tonight.
– The financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic hit an already struggling Division I hockey school when the University of Alabama Huntsville announced last week they are dropping their hockey program. They have had a Division I hockey program since 1988-89. Three former Allen Americans played at Alabama Huntsville. Here is the list with the season they played for the Americans:
Mike Salekin: 2009-10
David Nimmo: 2010-11
Tyler Poulson: 2017-18
DID YOU KNOW: Tyler Sheehy had 70 points in his rookie season with the Allen Americans which earned him Rookie of the Year honors. Here is the top scoring rookie for each season since Allen joined the ECHL. Notice two of the top scoring rookies (Roy and Baker) were defensemen.
70 points – Tyler Sheehy (2019-20)
44 points – Braylon Shmyr (2018-19)
35 points – J.C. Campagna (2017-18)
30 points – Zach Hall (2016-17)
30 points – Eric Roy (2015-16)
39 points – Justin Baker (2014-15)