Story courtesy of Barry Jannssen
The Allen Americans have signed defenseman Harrison Ruopp to a contract for the upcoming season. Ruopp is a 23 year old, 6’3″ and 205 pound defenseman from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan who was drafted by the Arizona Coyotes in the third round of the 2011 NHL draft. A year later he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Harrison signed a three year entry level NHL contract with Pittsburgh in 2013.
– Ruopp is a fourth year professional having spent the last three years in the Pittsburgh organization where he split time between the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL) playing in 40 games and the Wheeling Nailers (ECHL) where he played in 80 games. In case you are wondering he was not with the Nailers when Allen played them in the Kelly Cup finals. Harrison was in the AHL during the playoffs.
– Prior to beginning his professional career, Ruopp played in 214 games over four seasons (2009-13) with the Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League, totaling 34 points (3 goals 31 assists) and 395 penalty minutes. He was an alternate captain for the Raiders in 2012-13.
– Coach Martinson was looking for a right shot, physical, stay at home, in your face defenseman and Harrison Ruopp fits that description perfectly. Martinson describes Ruopp this way, “A big, tough, physical, defensive defenseman who is solid in the zone and not a lot of fun to play against.” He has a defensive first attitude and a tough as nails disposition.
– Ruopp describes himself as being more defensive, is gritty and takes pride in his compete level, making a good first pass and being solid in the defensive zone. He enjoys the physical side of the game and getting into battles. He is not afraid to drop the gloves.
– Ruopp will be joining several other Allen players heading to San Jose on Saturday to attend training camp with the San Jose Barracuda (AHL).
– Harrison has a younger brother (Sam) who plays defense and is the captain for the Prince George Cougars (WHL) where his coach is former Allen assistant coach, Richard Matvichuk. Sam is a 2015 fifth round draft choice of the Columbus Blue Jackets and is currently attending the Columbus training camp.